Saturday, November 12, 2005

"Filled to the brim with dangerous thoughts & no where to put them since she lives in a small town & everybody's always watching." - Brian Andreas

This is a little how I feel sometimes. Especially since my two jobs are at the central hubs of town society (aside from Wal-mart of course). The coffee shop, which is gossiped at by day and night, and the Bookstore, where everyone passes through while visiting home. I am now known as the girl who works everywhere. When everywhere is simply two places, they just happen to be prominent places. I answer the question "How's school?" an average of 15 times a day. And "How's your mom and dad?" almost as much. Ah, behold the bliss of living in a small town. Everyone knows where you come from and who you are, and you have an established expectation from them. Fortunately, I've been pegged as the Good Girl, so I don't get many dirty looks...but I do think to myself, "Back in the city, I never got any looks at all..." and for a brief moment, I wish desperately to return to a place of anonymity, where the only recognition you get is what you've earned versus what you were born with. For you to walk into a restaurant and be seen as a regular in a city takes a little more work than here. Here its two visits and you're in. They'll know your mom your dad, and how many pets you have, and whether you let those pets crap on your neighbor's lawn. Although, that isn't to say that cities don't have their microchosms with all the complications of a small town. They do. But it takes a while to find them. All this said...I wouldn't trade my small town for anything else....permanently, anyway.

No comments: