Monday, November 07, 2005

My mom has a habit of falling asleep on the couch every night with the t.v. on. However, she is exceptionally selective about what she sleeps to. Rather than the weather channel, or CNN, she will leave it on the Arts Channel or PBS. So, when I get home I am usually greeted by the "Mighty Puppeteers of Austria, performing Mozart's 5th Symphony in G" or "The Study of Mole Hair." Last night was no exception. I came home and it was a documentary on Killer Whales. However, I wouldn't have guessed it at first, mainly because they had edited it in such a way that it looked like a horror movie. It caught my attention (which isn't hard to do at 2 a.m., when my eyes have no problem fixating to one spot) and I sat down and watched for a while. I was amazed to find that Killer Whales can be the most fierocious animals in the world. The story was about this fishing village in about the 1930's where whalers lived. The "killers" (as they were lovingly called by the natives) would come straight into the harbor...right up to shore...and start making all kinds of noise for the whalers to hear. The whalers would come out at night, and get in their row boats and follow the killers out to sea. These killer whales were as big as their row boats, but had no intentions of harming the whalers, they were out for the blood of their fellow fish. The Killers would lead them right to a big blue whale, or a hump back whale, or any other equally HUGE beast and proceed to aid in the attack. They were launching themselves right into the sides of this other whale, and ganging up on him, 6 killers to one! These FREE WILLY-esque mammals would charge this whale and bite off huge chunks of his flesh. They would pick at him and wear him down, until finally the whalers could get a good shot, and harpoon him. I was amazed at this. They were smart enough and mean enough to lead humans to kill the other whales. And, here I thought cruelty was only reserved for us. I just watched this movie called North Country, and I am blown away by the "strength (and ignorance) in numbers" that was shown by the men in the film. They would group together and gang up on the women who worked in the mines, and pick them off...one by one...until they couldn't or wouldn't work in the mines anymore. The world is a strange place, full of killer instincts. I just don't understand how it can become so misguided. This might be depressing to post as a first blog...but...if blogs are for posting what's on your mind, then maybe I'll have a clearer head next time.

No comments: